Monday 11 April 2011

Word of the Day

I cannot believe it has taken me this long to post this word, after all we claim to love words but are yet to acknowledge the longest word in the English dictionary (superfluous though it may be.) Standing at a mighty
28 characters long it is...

Antidisestablishmentarianism:

Definition:
Opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church. It was an idea founded in the 19th Century Anglican church.

I told you it was an entirely useless word, but if you manage to slip it into conversation at some point then people tend to look both impressed and slightly confused. Unfortunately I'm not sure how many sentence examples I can produce about antidisestablishmentarianism other than:

"Do you know what the longest word in the English dictionary is?"
Or
"I was just reading about antidisestablishmentarianism the other day, what are your opinions on it?"

If you can think of any more slightly more intelligent sounding ones then please comment below.

By Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment