Sunday 3 July 2011

Quotation, Quotation, Quotation

When people remember great authors, orators, Presidents, Prime Ministers or just great people, they tend to associate them with a specific phrase, a quote if you will. When people think of Shakespeare most will instantly go to the old classic; “Romeo, Romeo where fore art thou Romeo?” Quotations are brilliant: you can slip them into conversation and instantly sound more intelligent. They can also be used to inspire you and I thought that I would share some of my favourite and most memorable quotations with you.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” – Albert Einstein
I think this is my favourite quote of all time; it is certainly the one I’ve yelled at my parents the most after yet another disappointing science report, because if Einstein thought having an imagination was more important than knowing which was the x and which was they y axis then who am I to disagree?
“Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it anyway.” ­– Mahatma Gandhi
Before you jump to conclusions: no, I did not learn this quote from an R-Patz movie. I have always liked it because it gives you a little perspective on life. Just because the majority of us will not lead life leaving legacies behind when we die does not mean we shouldn’t strive to achieve better for ourselves.
“Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men”
- Joseph Conrad
Although spoken by a man, a truer quote about women was never spoken. It is now scientifically proven that girl’s brains develop faster; we are more emotionally mature than boys; and we are definitely more rational. Miniature feminist rant over, this quote is a keeper, plus I always loved Heart of Darkness.
And I shall conclude with a quote that does not have much bearing on my life but makes me chuckle, spoken by a notorious philanderer:
“A man who marries his mistress creates a vacancy.” – Jimmy Goldsmith


By Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment